Who is Virat Kohli?
Virat Kohli (born 5 November 1988) is a former Indian cricket captain and international cricketer from India. In the Indian cricket squad, he is an attractive batter who generally bats on first down. Virat has a long list of international cricket records to his name. He is fifth on the list of most hundreds scored by a batsman in international cricket. In domestic cricket, he plays for Delhi, and in the Indian Premier League, he plays for Royal Challengers Bangalore. Kohli is widely regarded as one of the finest batters of his generation, and some consider him to be one of the best limited-overs batsmen in history.
Kohli captained the Indian cricket team in almost 200 matches across all three formats between 2013 and 2022. In 2011, Kohli made his Test debut. In 2013, he was ranked top in the ICC ODI batters rankings for the first time. At the ICC World Twenty20, he was named Man of the Tournament twice (in 2014 and 2016). He also owns the global record for being the fastest to complete 23,000 international runs in the shortest amount of time.
Virat Kohli Personal Life/Early Life
Virat Kohli was born in Delhi on November 5, 1988, into a Punjabi Hindu household. His father, Prem Kohli, was a criminal lawyer, and his mother, Saroj Kohli, is a stay-at-home mom. His siblings are Vikash, his older brother, and Bhavna, his older sister. Kohli was raised in Uttam Nagar and attended Vishal Bharti Public School.
Kohli trained at the academy under Rajkumar Sharma while simultaneously competing at the Sumeet Dogra Academy in Vasundhara Enclave. He moved to Saviour Convent in Paschim Vihar in ninth grade to aid with his cricket practise. Kohli and his family resided in Meera Bagh till 2015, when they relocated to Gurugram. Kohli’s father died of a stroke on December 18, 2006, after being bedridden for a month.
Virat Kohli Relationship Status
On December 11, 2017, he married Bollywood actress Anushka Sharma in Tuscany, Italy. He’d have been dating Anushka for quite long time. Virat and Anushka rushed to Twitter on Monday, 11 January 2021, to announce the birth of their daughter. They later named the daughter “Vamika.”
According to media sources, before dating Anushka Sharma, he was in relationships with Sarah-Jane Dias (actor), Sanjana (actress), Tamannah Bhatiya (actress), and Izabelle Leite (a Brazilian model).
|Nick Name||Chikoo, Run Machine|
|Birth Date||5 November 1988|
|Age (As of 2022)||34 Years|
|Birth Place||Delhi, India|
|Profession||Indian Cricketer (Batsman)|
|Hobbies||Travelling, Dancing, Workout, Singing|
|Debut International||ODI- against Sri Lanka at Dambulla
Test- against West Indies at Kingston
T20 – against Zimbabwe at Harare
|Famous For||Former Indian cricket captain|
|Net Worth||Rs 980 crore|
|Height(Approx)||In feet & inches: 5’ 9”
In centimters: 175 cm
|Weight(Approx)||In kilograms: 70 kg
In pounds: 154 lbs
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
|Food Habits||Vegetarian (turned vegetarian in October 2019)|
|Coach/Mentor||Raj Kumar Sharma|
Family Background, Education
|Father Name||Late Prem Kohli (Criminal lawyer)
|Mother Name||Saroj Kohli (Homemaker)
|Siblings||Sister- Bhawna Kohli (Elder)
Brother- Vikas Kohli (Elder)
|School||Vishal Bharti Public School, Delhi|
|Education Qualification||12th standard|
Girlfriend, Wife, Marriage
|Girlfriend||Sarah-Jane Dias (Actress, rumour), Sanjana (Model, Actress, rumour), Tamannaah Bhatia (Actress, rumour),
Izabelle Leite (Brazilian model, rumour),
Mansha Bahl (Model, Actress),
Anushka Sharma (Actress)
|Wife/Spouse||Anushka Sharma (Actress)|
|Children||Virat and Anushka were blessed with a baby daughter, Vamika, on January 11, 2021.|
Favorite Things & Assets
|Favorite Actor||Robert Downey Jr., Aamir Khan, Johnny Depp|
|Favorite Actresses||Kareena Kapoor, Penelope Cruz, Aishwarya Rai, Katrina Kaif|
|Favorite TV Show||American: Homeland, Narcos, Breaking Bad|
|Favorite Film||Bollywood: Border, Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar, Ishq, 3 Idiots
Hollywood: Rocky 4, Iron Man, Southpaw
|Favorite Book(s)||Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramahansa Yogananda|
|Favorite Comic Character||Not Known|
|Favorite Musician||Asrar, Eminem|
|Favorite Basketball Player||Kobe Bryant|
|Favorite Cricketer||Batsman : Sachin Tendulkar, David Warner, Herschelle Gibbs, Joe Root, Chris Gayle, Shane Watson,
Bowler : Shane Warne
|Favorite Cricket Ground||Adelaide Oval, Adelaide, Australia|
|Favorite Cricket Commentator||Harsha Bhogle|
|Favorite Food||Salmon, Sushi, Lamb Chops|
|Favorite Car||Aston Martin|
|Car Collection||Audi A8L W12 Quattro, Audi Q7, Audi S6, Audi R8 V10, Audi R8 LMX, Toyota Fortuner|
Social Media Accounts
Virat Kohli’s Career Highlights
Virat has been a cricket fan since he was a youngster. He began playing cricket in elementary school. After playing for regional sides including as Delhi and India Red, he made his one-day international debut against Sri Lanka at Dambulla on August 18, 2008. Later that year and in 2011, he made his T20 and Test debuts against Zimbabwe and the West Indies, respectively. In 2008, he captained the Indian Under-19 team to victory in the World Cup in Malaysia. This was a watershed moment in his career. He was given a chance to play for the senior Indian squad, and he took advantage of it.
He has since continued to play and set numerous records. In the ICC rankings, he is the seventh batter with the most hundreds by an international batsman. The top four players on the list have retired and have played more games than Virat. He has 17435 runs in all three forms as of currently (July 2018). Following the resignation of M. S. Dhoni as Indian captain in 2014, he was chosen captain of the Indian cricket team in all forms. Since then, he has captained India in 49 One-Day International (ODI) matches, 38 of which India has won. He is the Indian captain, and under his leadership, India has won five consecutive test series and nine tests in a calendar year. He is a Royal Challengers Bengaluru player in the IPL. He set records for the most runs (973) and hundreds (4) in an IPL season.
On September 16, 2021, he stated through Twitter that he will step down as captain of India’s T20 squad, but will continue to lead the ODI and Test sides. He published,
“I’ve chosen to resign as T20 captain following the T20 World Cup in Dubai in October. Understanding workload is critical, and given my enormous workload over the previous 8-9 years playing all three formats and captaining frequently for the last five to six years, I believe I need to allow myself space to be properly prepared to lead the Indian team in Test and ODI cricket. I have given my all to the squad throughout my time as T20 captain, and I will continue to do so as a batter for the T20 team in the future.”
He resigned down as Test captain on January 15, 2022, a day after India lost the series 2-1 to South Africa. He had already been relieved of the ODI captaincy. On Twitter, he announced his intention to resign as Test captain. He wrote on Twitter,
It has taken 7 years of hard effort, toil, and unwavering determination to steer the squad in the proper way. I did the task completely honestly and didn’t leave anything out. Everything has to come to a halt at some point, and for me as India’s Test captain, that time has come. There have been many ups and downs along the way, but there has never been a shortage of work or belief.”
I’ve always believed in giving everything I’ve got, and if I can’t, I know it’s not the correct thing to do. I have complete faith in myself, and I will not betray the squad.”
Kohli also praised Shastri and his team in his post.
Ravi Bhai and his support team were the driving force behind this vehicle that continually advanced in Test Cricket. You’ve all played a significant role in making our idea a reality. Finally, I’d want to express my gratitude to M.S. Dhoni, who trusted in me as captain and saw me as a capable guy capable of leading Indian cricket ahead.”
Virat Kohli’s Awards and Achievements
Kohli has received numerous awards, including the Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy (ICC Men’s Cricketer of the Decade): 2011–2020; the Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy (ICC Cricketer of the Year) in 2017 and 2018; the ICC Test Player of the Year (2018); the ICC ODI Player of the Year (2012, 2017, 2018); and the Wisden Leading Cricketer in the World (2016, 2017 and 2018).  At the national level, he received the Arjuna Medal in 2013, the Padma Shri in 2017, and the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award, India’s highest sporting honour, in 2018.
ESPN named him one of the world’s most renowned athletes, while Forbes named him one of the most valuable athlete brands. In 2018, Time magazine named him one of the world’s 100 most influential people. In 2020, he was rated 66th on Forbes’ list of the top 100 highest-paid athletes in the world, with earnings of more than $26 million.
Virat Kohli’s Records
- He is the first Indian to reach a century in his World Cup debut (2011), and the third Indian to achieve two ODI hundreds before the age of 22. (after Sachin Tendulkar & Suresh Raina).
- He is the fastest Indian to finish 1000, 3000, 4000, 5000, and 7500 runs in one-day international cricket, as well as to score 25 ODI tonnes.
- In 2013, he scored the quickest century (of 52 balls) against Australia in Jaipur, India. (In 2013, he hit 52 balls against Australia in Jaipur, India).
- After Don Bradman and Ricky Ponting, he is the third player in history to score three double hundreds in a calendar year.
- He has four double hundreds, which he shares with Don Bradman, Graeme Smith, and Michael Clarke.
- The first Indian Test captain to make a double century in an international match.
- The fastest player in international cricket history to score 19,000 runs.
- On 19 January 2020, while playing against Australia in Bengaluru, he became India’s all-time leading run-scorer. He scored 11208 runs as captain, beating former skipper MS Dhoni’s total of 11207 runs.
Wealth and Net Worth
He was the only cricketer to be included on Forbes magazine’s list of the top 100 highest-paid athletes in 2020. The batting spearhead’s annual salary is over $17.5 million, which is almost Rs 130 crore. His overall net worth is estimated to be approximately Rs 980 crore.
Virat is a Grade A+ player, and according to the BCCI central contracts, he receives a lot of money just as a player. As a grade-A player, he earns an annual retainer fee of $190,000 (1.25 crore) and receives Rs 5 lakh, 3 lakh, and 1.50 lakhs for playing a Test match, ODI match, and T20 match, respectively. Manyavar, Pepsi, Cinthol Deo, Boost, Fastrack, Reebok, Godrej, Head & Shoulders, and Nestle India are among the brands with which Kohli has had partnerships.
He has a dashing personality in addition to being a brilliant cricketer. In his appearance, he appears to be pretty calm and dashing. He maintains his fitness as a sportsperson by completing exercises and other physical activity. He weighs roughly 70 kg and is 5′ 9″ tall. Virat’s eyes are a dark brown colour, and his hair is black. He has a muscular physique. His chest measures around 40 inches, his waist 30 inches, and his biceps 14 inches.
Some Amazing Facts At A Glance About Virat Kohli
- Is Virat Kohli drinks an alcohol? : Yes.
- His father enrolled him at Raj Kumar Sharma’s West Delhi Cricket Academy when he was 912 years old.
- Raj Kumar Sharma, his coach, brought Ashish Nehra to his academy in 2003, where he honoured young Kohli for being the greatest run-scorer for Delhi in the 2002-2003 Polly Umrigar Trophy.
- In his childhood, his Delhi State coach Ajit Chaudhary gave him the nickname ‘Chikoo.’
- His favourite subject was ‘History,’ and he despised ‘Maths.’
- His father died of a brain stroke in 2006, but the very next day, he played a match-saving innings for Delhi against Karnataka, scoring 90 runs.
- He had no backup plans for his future because he had always desired to be a cricketer.
- He believes in a variety of superstitions. He wears black wristbands and always remembers to put on his ‘Kada’ before matches.
- He is afraid of heights.
- He dislikes long conversions on his cell phone.
- For superstitious reasons, he always wears black wristbands.
- He is an extremely aggressive and passionate person who tears when he is unhappy. He was spotted sobbing on the pitch after India failed to make the semi-finals of the 2012 T20 World Cup.
- In 2012, he was named ICC One-Day International Player of the Year.
- He was rated one of the top ten best-dressed international guys in 2012.
- The Government of India bestowed upon him the Arjuna Award (2013) and the Padma Shri Award (2017).
- In the same year, he was named the Border Security Force’s first brand ambassador (BSF).
- He adores Swiss tennis legend Roger Federer. He is also a co-owner of the International Premier Tennis League side ‘UAE Royals.’
- He adores tattoos, and his collection continues to grow. The first is ‘God’s eye,’ which is a metaphor of the power of seeing and knowing what is unknown and unknowable. The second emblem on his left shoulder is ‘Japanese Samurai warrior,’ which represents a life focused on allegiance to one’s master, self-discipline, and respectful, ethical behaviour. The third sign on his left arm is a ‘Monastery,’ which represents a place of serenity and power. ‘Lord Shiva in meditation with Mount Kailash and Mansarovar lake,’ is the fourth image on his left arm. The fifth tattoo on his right bicep is a ‘Scorpion,’ which represents his Zodiac sign.
- He runs the ‘Nueva’ restaurant in Delhi.
- He’s a decent singer, and a video of him singing “Jo Wada Kiya Hai Nibhana Padhega” went viral in 2016.
- He is a very driven sportsperson who is focused not only on his cricketing abilities but also on fitness, for which he is admired by many.
- Virat and Anushka married in a private ceremony in Tuscany, Italy, on December 11, 2017.