Tejaswin Shankar (born December 21, 1998) is a high jump athlete from India. He owns the national high jump record of 2.29 meters, which he established in April 2018.
Tejaswin Shankar was accepted by Commonwealth Organisers to compete in the next Commonwealth Games on 22 July 2022, at the request of the Indian Olympic Association. Initially, he was rejected by the organizer due to late application, but the Commonwealth Games Federation accepted his entrance.
Shankar was born on December 21, 1998, in Delhi, India, into a Tamil family. He is from the South Delhi neighborhood of Saket. He attended New Delhi’s Sardar Patel Vidyalaya, where he played cricket until eighth grade when his physical education teacher suggested he switch to the high jump.
He quickly began winning medals at inter-school athletics meets. His father Harishankar, a lawyer, died of blood cancer in 2014. In 2017, Shankar was awarded a four-year sports scholarship to Kansas State University, where he studies business administration.
|Birth Name||Tejaswin Shankar|
|Date of Birth||21 December 1998|
|Birth Place||Saket, Delhi, India|
|Residence||Saket, Delhi, India|
|School||Sardar Patel Vidyalaya|
|College||Kansas State University|
|Mother Name||Lakshmi Shankar|
|Mother’s Profession||Not Known|
Career and Achievements
- Shankar won gold in the Commonwealth Youth Games in Apia in 2015, setting a Games record of 2.14 meters.
- With a leap of 2.17 meters, he earned silver at the 2016 South Asian Games in Guwahati.
- He finished sixth in the Asian Junior Championships and did not compete in the 2016 World Junior Championships due to a groin issue.
- Shankar rose to notoriety at the age of 17 when, in November 2016, he broke Hari Shankar Roy’s 12-year-old national record of 2.25 meters with a jump of 2.26 meters at the Junior National Championships in Coimbatore.
- He was the world’s third-best IAAF junior high jumper that year.
- In 2017, he was incapacitated for six months due to a slipped disc.
- Shankar surpassed Roy’s indoor national record with a mark of 2.18 meters in January 2018 and then improved it by a centimeter the following month.
- In February, he set a new indoor record of 2.28 meters at the Big 12 Indoor Athletics Championships in Ames, Iowa.
- Shankar finished sixth in qualification for the 2018 Commonwealth Games.
- Shankar broke his own national mark by jumping 2.28 meters in March 2018 during the 22nd Federation Cup Indian Championships in Patiala. It was the joint-best qualifying performance for the Commonwealth Games.
- In April 2018, he broke his national record by another centimeter while representing K-State sports, jumping 2.29m at the Texas Tech Invite.
Tejaswin Shankar Height, Weight
He is blessed with an attractive personality which is enhanced by his black hair and black eyes. His height is 6 feet and 4 inches which is 192 centimeters.
He follows a regular and healthy diet in order to keep himself healthy with a weight of 83 kg or 174 lbs.
Weight: 83 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Tejaswin Shankar Net Worth, Income, Source of Income
Tejaswin Shankar’s net worth is undisclosed. His net worth could be around $500,000. He makes money by competing in high jump competitions.
Tejaswin Shankar Girlfriend
Tejaswini Shankar isn’t married. He has not declared his relationship, but according to his Instagram, he is in a relationship with Siddhi Hiray.
|Girlfriend Name||Siddhi Hiray|
Social Media Links