Sergio Busquets Burgos, also known as Sergio Busquets, is a Spanish professional football player who competes for both the Spain national team and La Liga club Barcelona as a defensive midfielder. His shirt number is 5, and he is regarded as a deep-lying playmaker capable of controlling play with short, calm passes, as well as one of the best defensive midfielders of all time. He joined FC Barcelona in 2008 and was named Breakthrough Player of the Year in La Liga in 2009. He joined the Spanish national squad in 2009 and helped the team win its first World Cup title in 2010.
Sergio previously played in FC Barcelona’s youth league, where he won three major trophies and established himself as an important member of the squad. He played in the 2010 World Cup and the Euro 2012 competitions, as well as two earlier World Cups and as many European Championships. Despite stiff competition from Yaya Toure, he established himself as one of La Liga’s top midfielders, scoring twice in 2011-2012. In addition, on January 9, 2021, he made his 600th appearance for Barcelona in a 4-0 win over Granada at the Los Carmenes.
- Being a professional footballer in Spain.
- For his work as a defensive midfielder for Barcelona in La Liga and the Spanish national team.
Sergio Busquets originally opened his eyes on July 16, 1988, in Sabadell, Spain. He has Spanish nationality and is of Spanish-white heritage because he was born in Spain. Sergio Busquets Burgos was born under the Cancer astrological sign to his parents.
Sergio had his 32nd birthday in 2020 and will celebrate his 33rd birthday in July 2021. As a result, he is white. His father, Carles Busquets, is a former professional footballer who was a goalkeeper for Barcelona in the 1990s, while his mother, Loli Burgos, has no job. He also has an older brother named Aitor Busquets.
|Celebrated Name||Sergio Busquets|
|Age||34 Years old.|
|Birth Name||Sergio Busquets Burgos|
|Place Of Birth||Sabadell, Spain|
|Source of Wealth||Football career|
|Net Worth||$45 million|
|Salary||£14,092,000 per year|
|Body Measurement||40-13.5-34 inches|
|Hair Color||Dark brown|
|Eye Color||Dark brown|
|Height||6 ft 2½ in or 189 cm|
|Weight||77 kg or 170 lbs|
|Links||Wikipedia Instagram Twitter|
Sergio Busquets Career
- Sergio Busquets began his football career with a local team, CD Badia del Valles. In his second season, he scored seven goals in 26 games for the Juvenil A team, after which he was promoted to the B team under Pep Guardiola and helped them achieve promotion to the third level.
- That same season, he made his first-team debut as a substitute in the Copa Catalunya.
- Then, on September 13, 2008, he made his La Liga debut, playing 90 minutes in a 1-1 home tie with Racing de Santander.
- On October 22, 2008, he scored the second goal in a 5-0 group stage triumph over Basel at St. Jakob-Park in Barcelona’s 2008-09 UEFA Champions League match.
- On 22nd December 2008, he signed a contract extension until 2013 with an €80 million buy-out clause and scored his first league goal in a 2-0 home win over Athletic Bilbao on 7th March 2009.
- Busquets became only the third father-son team to win Europe’s top club competition while playing for the same team.
- On 27th January 2011, he signed a contract extension that would keep him at the club until 2015, and the buyout clause was upped to €150 million. On 28th May, he played the entire match in his team’s 3-1 Champions League final triumph over Manchester United at Wembley Stadium.
- In addition, on April 24, 2012, he scored a rare goal, only his sixth official goal in four years, netting from an easy tap-in following an Isaac Cuenca cross to make it 1-0 for the hosts in the second leg of the Champions League semi-finals against Chelsea.
- He was also assigned the number 5 shirt for the following season and was chosen as one of the club’s four captains, along with Xavi, Andres Iniesta, and Lionel Messi.
- He made his debut on June 6, 2015, in the 2015 Champions League final, as the squad defeated Juventus 3-1 at Berlin’s Olympiastadion.
- In the absence of regular captain Iniesta and vice-captain Messi, Sergio captained Barcelona for the first time in a 1-2 away defeat at Sevilla on October 3, 2015.
- Later, he signed a new contract that extended his contract until June 2023, increasing his buyout clause from €200 million to €500 million.
- On November 24, 2018, he made his 500th appearance for Barcelona, away to Atletico Madrid, and on December 11, 2018, he made his 100th Champions League appearance, in a 1-1 group stage home tie against Tottenham Hotspur.
- On January 9, 2021, he made his 600th appearance for Barcelona in a 4-0 win over Granada at Los Carmenes.
- International Career Opportunities
- Sergio Busquets won his first cap for Spain’s under-21 team on October 11, 2018, when they faced Switzerland in the first leg of the 2009 UEFA European Under-21 Football Championship qualification play-offs.
- On December 28th, he made his debut for the Catalan national team, starting in a 2-1 win over Colombia at Camp Nou.
- Busquets was called up to the senior squad for a friendly against England on 11th February 2009 and was named as a substitute for a 2010 FIFA World Cup qualifier against Turkey on 28th March 2009, making his debut in the return match on 1st April, playing 16 minutes after replacing David Silva in a 2-1 win in Istanbul.
- In the summer, he played in his first senior competition, helping Spain finish third in the 2009 FIFA Confederations Cup in South Africa.
- Busquets was chosen by manager Vicente del Bosque for the 2010 World Cup in the same country, and he played every minute as Spain won the UEFA Euro 2012 title in Poland and Ukraine, and he was named to the Tournament Team.
- On September 8, 2014, he scored his first international goal in a 5-1 win over Macedonia during the Euro 2016 qualifying process, and his second came on November 15, 2014, in a 3-0 win over Belarus in Huelva. He was chosen to compete in the final tournament in France.
- He made his 100th appearance for Spain on October 9, 2017, in a 1-0 away win against Israel in the 2018 World Cup qualifiers. He was then picked to Julen Lopetegui’s squad for the finals in Russia.
- On October 7, 2020, he captained Spain for the first time in a goalless friendly tie away to Portugal, with Sergio Ramos on the bench.
- He was named to Luis Enrique’s 24-man team for UEFA Euro 2020 the following May. In Ramos’ absence, he was named captain.
Achievements and Awards
- La Liga seasons are as follows: 2008-2009, 2009-2010, 2010-2011, 2012-2013, 2014-2015, 2015-2016, 2017-2018, and 2018-2019.
- 2008-2009, 2011-2012, 2014-2015, 2015-2016, 2016-2017, 2017-2018, 2020-2021 Copa del Rey.
- Supercopa de Espana: 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2016, 2018, and 2019.
- 2008-2009, 2010-2011, 2014-2015 UEFA Champions League
- 2009, 2011, 2015 UEFA Super Cup
- FIFA Club World Cups were held in 2009, 2011, and 2015.
- 2010 FIFA World Cup
- 2012 UEFA European Championship
- FIFA Confederations Cup: 2013 runner-up; 2009 third place
- 2009 Bravo Award
- Breakthrough Player in La Liga in 2009
- 2010 FIFA World Cup All-Star Team
- Team of the Tournament: UEFA European Championship 2012
- FIFA FIFPro World11: Second Team in 2016, Third Team in 2015, Fourth Team in 2013, and Nominee in 2019. (5th midfielder)
- 2014-2015 UEFA Champions League Squad of the Season
- 2015-2016 La Liga Team of the Year
- 2015-2016 UEFA La Liga Team of the Season
- 2010 Prince of Asturias Awards
- 2011 Royal Order of Sporting Merit Gold Medal
Sergio Busquet Girlfriend
Sergio Busquets is not married because he has been in a romantic relationship with his beautiful girlfriend Elena Galera since 2014. Enzo, the couple’s first child, was born in 2016, while Elena and Sergio received their second child, Levi Busquets, in 2018.
The couple’s relationship has been fantastic up to this point, and they hope it will continue to be so in the future. Sergio’s sexual orientation is heterosexual.
Sergio Busquets Net Worth
Sergio Busquets is a talented footballer with a $45 million net worth as of 2021. He earns £271,000 per week and £14,092,000 per year as a DM, M for Barcelona (C). He is projected to become more popular in the next years due to his calm and easygoing nature.
His market worth is €9.00 million as of May 2021, with a peak market value of €80.00 million in 2018. Sergio’s football career is his main source of income.
Sergio Busquets Height
Sergio Busquets stands 6 ft 212 in or 189 cm tall and weighs roughly 77 kg or 170 lbs. He has dark brown hair and blue eyes. He had an Arabic tattoo on his left forearm that said “A thing for you, the life in my nation,” which was dedicated to his maternal grandpa, with whom he had a close relationship.
He has an athletic physique build, measuring 40-13.5-34 inches. Sergio also tested positive for COVID-19 eight days before Spain’s first game, forcing the entire squad to withdraw from their final warm-up game against Lithuania.
Did You Know?
- Sergio began his football career with a local club called CD Badia del Valles.
- He joined FC Barcelona’s youth league in 2005, winning three major trophies and becoming an important member of the club.
- Despite stiff competition from Yaya Toure, he established himself as one of La Liga’s top midfielders, scoring twice in 2011-2012.
- In 2008, he joined Barcelona as a colleague of goalkeeper Victor Valdes.
- Sergio joined Barcelona C in 2006 and stayed there until 2007 when he moved to Barcelona B.