Sam Jay is a comedian and writer best known for her work on “Saturday Night Live” (2017-present) and her Netflix comedy special “3 in the Morning” (2020). He also co-created and stars in the HBO comedy series PAUSE with Sam Jay (2021-present) and the Peacock comedy series Bust Down (2022–present).
She has been performing stand-up comedy for nearly a decade and joined the Saturday Night Live writing staff in 2017. She was nominated for two Emmys for Outstanding Writing for a Variety Series, one in 2018 and one in 2019. In 2018, she published “Donna’s Daughter,” a comedy album.
Well Known For?
- Sam Jay is a writer and stand-up comedian.
- Her Netflix comedy special 3 in the Morning is based on her work as a writer for Saturday Night Live (2017-present) (2020).
- Known for her work on the HBO comedy series PAUSE with Sam Jay (2021-present) and the Peacock comedy series Bust Down (2022–present).
Sam Jay Age and Nationality
Sam Jay was born with the real name Samaria Johnson on January 13, 1982. She is from Atlanta, Georgia, in the United States. She grew up and spent her childhood in Boston’s Dorchester area. She is of African-American ethnicity and of American nationality. As of 2022, she will be 40 years old. She was born into a pious Christian family. According to her birth date, she is a Capricorn.
Sam lost both her father and mother when she was 16, but her father died first, followed by her mother in 1998. Sam had a special bond with her mother, Donna. As a child, Donna made it a point to let Sam know that she was capable of doing everything she put her mind to. Donna died several years ago, but her spirit lives on in Sam and her comedy. In terms of schooling, she pursued a degree in communications but dropped out owing to a lack of interest.
|Celebrated Name||Sam Jay|
|Age||40 Years Old|
|Birth Name||Samaria Johnson|
|Place Of Birth||Atlanta, Georgia|
|Net Worth||Between $1 Million – $5 Million|
|Salary||Thousand of Dollar|
|Source of Wealth||Comedian and Writing Career|
|Height||5 ft 6 in|
Sam Jay Professional Career
- Sam worked in an office and as a music manager before becoming famous.
- After that, in 2012, at the age of 29, she performed her first stand-up comedy routine.
- In 2017, she joined the writing crew of “Saturday Night Live,” becoming the first black lesbian writer in the show’s history and the show’s second black lesbian overall (after performer Danitra Vance joined the cast 32 years prior).
- She later collaborated on the “Black Jeopardy” sketch.
- In 2018, she appeared on Netflix’s “The Comedy Lineup” and in a half-hour stand-up special for “Comedy Central Stand-Up Presents.”
- “Donna’s Daughter” was her first stand-up comedy release (2018).
- Her debut Netflix stand-up comedy special, “3 in the Morning” (2020), was shot at Atlanta’s The Masquerade.
- Her other credits include appearances on “Take My Wife” from 2016 to 2018, as well as stand-up performances on “Jimmy Kimmel Live!” and at 2017 Just for Laughs Comedy Festival.
- In 2020, she collaborated with producer Prentice Penny to create the series PAUSE with Sam Jay. The first season debuted in May 2021, and HBO renewed the show for a second season two months later.
- Jay co-created and co-starred in the comedy series “Bust Down,” which launched on Peacock in March 2022.
Sam Jay Achievements and Awards
- won an Emmy for Outstanding Writing for a Variety Series in 2018. (nominee)
- won an Emmy for Outstanding Writing for a Variety Series in 2019. (nominee)
- wins the Writers Guild of America Award for Best Comedy/Variety – Sketch Series in 2020. (nominee)
Who is Yanise Monet, the wife of comedian Sam Jay?
Sam Jay is married to Yanise Monet. Yanise, her wife, was an interior designer who managed Vanity Interiors. Sam Jay and Yanise Monet were mutual acquaintances for decades in Atlanta before dating, and they regard each other as family.
They later married. Yanet used to help Sam Jay throughout her career. The couple is currently living a blissful life. Jay has spoken about her sexuality as a black lesbian during her stand-up acts.
Sam Jay Net Worth, Salary, and Income
Sam Jay is a well-known stand-up comedian best recognized for her appearances on Jimmy Kimmel Live. Sam’s net worth is reported to be between $1 million and $5 million, with her income coming from her work as a writer and comedian. Her annual pay is in the thousands of dollars.
She is currently living a wealthy lifestyle. She has not disclosed any information about her residence or property to the public.
Sam Jay Height, Weight, and Measurements
Sam Jay is a stunning lady whose height is 5 feet 6 inches tall. Her body weight is 74 kg, and her physique is average. Her eyes are brown, and her hair is black.
Her short hair and charming grin with a bright face make her stand out. She currently has a healthy body.
Did You Know?
- Sam told the Washington Post that she has always enjoyed playing the devil’s advocate because it challenges how others think. Sam incorporates this idea into her stand-up routines by producing thought-provoking jokes.
- Most people would assume that because Sam is a major music enthusiast, she also enjoys live shows, but she doesn’t.
- Jay has spoken about being a black lesbian in her stand-up acts.
- She co-created and stars in the HBO comedy series PAUSE with Sam Jay (2021-present) as well as the Peacock comedy series Bust Down (2022–present).