Who is Raj Bawa?
Raj Bawa is an Indian cricketer best known for surpassing Indian opener Shikhar Dhawan’s record of 155 runs against Scotland in the 2004 World Cup. Raj struck a record 162 runs at the U19 World Cup at the Brian Lara Stadium in Trinidad & Tobago on January 23, 2022, the best individual score by an Indian. He collaborated with Angkrish Raghuvanshi, who scored 144 runs.
Raj Bawa Personal Life/Early Life
Raj Bawa was born on November 12, 2002, in Nahan, Himachal Pradesh, India, and will be 19 years old in 2022. Raj Bawa’s mother’s name is not known at this moment, and his father, Sukhwinder Bawa, is a Cricket Coach. Raj Bawa’s parents raised him in Nahan, Himachal Pradesh, India, and he was born on November 12, 2002, in Nahan, Himachal Pradesh, India.
Raj Bawa has always aspired to be a cricketer and began playing at an early age. Raj Bawa has always been supportive of his work. Raj Bawa admires and is inspired by former cricketer Yuvraj Singh. Raj Bawa comes from a sporting family; his grandpa, Tarlochan Singh Bawa, was a hockey player, and his father is a cricket coach. Raj Bawa’s father trained some well-known Indian cricketers, including Yuvraj Singh and VRV Singh.
In 1988, Raj Bawa’s father was picked for India’s Under 19 camp, but he was unable to participate because to a Slip disc injury. Raj Bawa holds the record for the most runs scored by an individual in the Indian Under 19 squad, hitting 162 runs against Uganda at the Brian Lara Stadium in Trinidad and Tobago on January 23, 2022, in the ICC U19 World Cup 2022. He also enjoys hockey and football, which he learned from his grandfather and father.
Raj Bawa finished his schooling at DAV Public School in Chandigarh and is currently enrolled in GGDSD College in Chandigarh. Raj Bawa is a standout on his college squad and a standout on his high school team. Raj Bawa began playing cricket in his school days, and at the age of 11, he played his first match at Tau Devi Lal Stadium in Gurugram, where he got five wickets and where his father witnessed him play for the first time.
Raj Bawa Relationship Status
Raj Bawa’s marital status is unmarried, and he hasn’t released the name of his girlfriend, and he isn’t dating anybody; he is currently single and focused on his profession.
|Full Name||Raj Angad Bawa|
|Birth Date||12 November 2004 (Friday)|
|Age (As of 2021)||17 Years|
|Birth Place||Nahan, Himachal Pradesh|
|Profession||Cricketer (Batsman and Bowler)|
|Hobbies||Travelling, Partying, Playing Cricket|
|International Debut Cricket||ODI- 2 December 2021 against
Bangladesh at Kolkata
|Jersey Number||# 12 (India)|
|Batting Style||Left Handed Bat
|Bowling Style||Left-arm fast-medium
|Famous For||In 2022, he will set the record
for the best individual score by
an Indian in the U19 World Cup
in Trinidad & Tobago’s Brian Lara
|Net Worth||Approx $200K estimated|
|Height(Approx)||In feet & inches: 5’ 7”
In centimters: 170 cm
|Weight(Approx)||In kilograms: 67 kg
In pounds: 148 lbs
|Family Background, Education|
|Father Name||Sukhwinder Singh Bawa
|Mother Name||Name Not Known|
|School||DAV Public School,
|College||GGSD College, Chandigarh|
|Girlfriend, Wife, Marriage|
|Favorite Things & Assets|
|Favorite Actor||Not Known|
|Favorite Cricketer||Yuvraj Singh|
|Favorite TV Show||Not Known|
|Favorite Book(s)||Not Known|
|Favorite Comic Character||Not Known|
|Car Collection||Not Known|
|Social Media Accounts|
Raj Bawa Career Highlights
Bawa played his maiden U-19 international match against Afghanistan on December 27, 2021, in Dubai, after representing Chandigarh in different domestic events. Raj made waves on January 23, 2022, when he hit 162 runs on 108 balls against Uganda in the Under-19 Men’s Cricket World Cup. His total marked the best individual score by an Indian batter in the U19 World Cup, breaking the previous record of 155 runs made by Indian opener Shikhar Dhawan against Scotland in the 2004 tournament. In the opening match of the U-19 World Cup, he grabbed four wickets against South Africa.
- When Chandigarh received BCCI affiliation, Raj Bawa’s family relocated from Gurugram to Chandigarh, and Raj attended the prestigious DAV Public School before transferring from PCA to UTCA, where he has represented the team ever since.
- He hit 154 runs – including a century – and took eight wickets in the U-19 Challenger Trophy 2021.
- The BCCI appointed the batting all-rounder to India’s U-19 team for the Asia Cup, with his pal Harnoor Singh Pannu, another outstanding Chandigarh hitter.
- Raj Bawa was a member of the winning ACC U19 Asia Cup 2021 squad.
- Raj Bawa scored 91 runs in four matches, including a top of 43* against Afghanistan U19.
- He was rested against the UAE and scored 25 against Pakistan, 43* against Afghanistan, and 23 against Bangladesh.
- Raj Bawa took 8 wickets in four matches, at an economy rate of 5.18.
- Raj Bawa has been nominated to the ICC U19 World Cup 2022 team, which is headed by Yash Dhull.
- Raj Bawa scored just 13 runs with the bat in the tournament’s opening group encounter, but he shone with the ball, scooping up four wickets against South Africa U19.
- His four wickets include dangerous batter Dewald Brevis (65), South African captain George Van Heerden (36), Andile Simelane (6), and last wicket Aphiwe Mnyanda (5).
- Raj Bawa scored 42 runs and went wicketless in a group match against Ireland U19 on January 19, 2022.
- On January 22, 2022, India defeated Uganda by 326 runs at the Brian Lara Stadium in Tarouba, Trinidad, for their largest victory by runs in the U19 World Cup 2022.
- Nishant Sindhu captained the squad against Uganda despite the fact that the majority of the players were absent due to COVID-19. The Indian team’s standout performances in the contest were Raj Bawa and Angkrish Raghuvanshi.
- Both batsmen achieved hundreds and contributed 206 runs for the third wicket, India’s highest total in the competition.
- Raghuvanshi scored 144 runs, while Raj Bawa scored 162 runs undefeated. In his 162-run knock, Raj Bawa hammered eight sixes and 14 fours.
- Raj Bawa currently has the greatest individual score for an Indian in the U19 World Cup. Shikhar Dhawan previously held the record with 155 runs in the 2004 edition of the event against Kenya.
- India’s 405-run total is the most of any side in this year’s U-19 World Cup.
- Raj Bawa failed to score a single run and failed to collect a wicket in the tournament’s Quarter-Final 2 on January 29, 2022. With his laboured 44 runs off 65 balls, Angkrish Raghuvanshi guided the squad to the event semifinals.
- Raj Bawa did not bat in the Semi-Final 2 against Australia U19 on February 2, 2022, and went wicketless while giving 20 runs from 3.5 overs bowled.
- Raj Bawa collects his first five-wicket haul of the ICC U19 World Cup 2022 against England in the tournament’s finals. He ended the event with a total of 9.5 overs, 1 maiden, 31 runs, and 5 wickets.
Raj Bawa Records
In the Under-19 Men’s Cricket World Cup match against Uganda, he scored 162 runs off 108 balls. It was the greatest individual score by an Indian batsman in the U19 World Cup, breaking Indian opener Shikhar Dhawan’s mark of 155 runs against Scotland in 2004.
Raj Bawa Physical Appearance
Raj Bawa’s height is around 5 feet 7 inches, which is 170 cm in centimeters and 1.70 m in meters, and he has Black hair and Black eyes. Raj Bawa’s weight is approximately 67 kg. Raj Bawa’s body measurements are 40 inches in the chest, 30 inches in the waist, and 14 inches in the biceps.
Some Amazing Facts At A Glance About Raj Bawa
- Raj Bawa is an Indian cricketer best known for setting the record for the greatest individual score by an Indian in the U19 Cricket World Cup on 23 January 2022 at the Brian Lara Stadium in Trinidad & Tobago. He collaborated with Angkrish Raghuvanshi, who scored 144 runs.
- The previous record-holder was Indian opener Shikhar Dhawan, who hit 155 runs against Scotland in the 2004 tournament.
- In the inaugural match of the U19 Cricket World Cup 2022, he got four wickets against South Africa.
- He was more interested in dance and theatre when he was younger. His passion for cricket began when he visited Dharamshala stadium with his father, he claims.
- His father witnessed him bowling for the first time at Gurugram’s Tau Devi Lal Stadium. He was eleven at the time and grabbed five wickets in the first game.
- Tarlochan Singh Bawa, Raj’s grandfather, was a part of the Indian hockey team that won the 1948 Olympic Games in the United Kingdom. In an interview, he mentioned his granddad and stated, Because I was a child when my grandfather died, I don’t have many happy recollections of him. But I’ve heard his stories from my grandma and father, and they’ll be with me for the rest of my life.”
- Sukhvinder Bawa, his father, is a mentor to numerous Indian cricket stars, including Yuvraj Singh and pacer VRV Singh. His father used to play hockey for the Haryana junior team and was even picked for the India U-19 camp in 1988, but owing to a slipped disc injury, he became a coach at the age of 22. Raj mentioned his father in an interview, saying, “My father knew about my cricket.” He must have known that rapid bowling came easy to me, therefore he preferred to concentrate on my batting. Initially, I was primarily concerned with hitting and began bowling off-spin.”
- Raj bowls with his right arm but bats with his left. In an interview, he stated that after seeing Yuvraj Singh, he adjusted his batting posture. He looks up to Yuvraj and wears the same jersey number as him. In an interview, he explained why he chose No. 12: “I picked out No. 12 for a variety of reasons.” The 12th of February is my late grandfather’s birthday. Yuvraj, my idol, used to wear jersey No. 12 since his birthday is on December 12. On November 12th, I celebrate my birthday.”
- The BCCI remarked on Twitter praising Raj’s performance in the Cricket World Cup 2022.