Ken Block was a renowned rally driver and action sports athlete who left a lasting impact on the world of motorsports. Born on November 21, 1967, in Long Beach, California, Ken Block was a natural athlete who excelled in various sports from a young age. Block’s rally career began in 2005 when he made his debut in the Rally America championship, and he quickly established himself as one of the top drivers in the sport. Over the course of his decade-long career, he won 15 Rally America races and six Global RallyCross races, cementing his legacy as one of the greatest rally drivers of all time.
After selling his ownership of DC Shoes, Ken shifted his focus to Hoonigan Industries, an apparel brand for auto enthusiasts which he co-owned and operated as the “Head Hoonigan In Charge” (HHIC). Sadly, Block’s life was cut short on January 2, 2023, when he died in a tragic snowmobile accident near his ranch in Woodland, Utah. He was 55 years old at the time of his passing, and his death was mourned by fans and fellow racers alike. Despite his untimely passing, Ken Block’s legacy lives on as a testament to his talent, passion, and unwavering dedication to his sport.
Ken dies in snowmobile crash at 55
Ken Block, a renowned American professional rally driver, died tragically in a snowmobile accident near his ranch in Woodland, Utah, on January 2, 2023. The incident occurred when Block was riding on a steep slope in the Mill Hollow area. Unfortunately, his snowmobile upended and landed on top of him, causing severe injuries that led to his death. He was only 55 years old at the time of his passing.
The news of Block’s sudden demise has left the rally world in shock. His rally team confirmed the news through a statement posted on their official Instagram page. The statement paid tribute to Block’s legacy, describing him as a visionary, pioneer, and icon in the world of rally racing. It also highlighted his personal life, mentioning that he was a devoted father and husband. The statement urged the public to respect the family’s privacy during their time of mourning.
The Wasatch County Sheriff’s Office also confirmed Block’s death and expressed condolences to his family and friends. The sheriff’s office acknowledged the efforts of first responders who were present at the scene of the accident. The exact cause of Block’s death is yet to be determined as the state’s medical examiner is conducting an investigation.
Ken Block’s death is a great loss to the world of rally racing and action sports. He will be remembered for his incredible driving skills, business acumen, and his contributions to the sport.
Personal life/Early life
Ken Block was a renowned American rally driver who was born on November 21, 1967, in Long Beach, California, with the full name of Kenneth Paul Block. He belonged to American-White ethnicity and held American nationality. Ken celebrated his 55th birthday for the last time with his loved ones. Unfortunately, his sudden death at the age of 55 has left his fans, family, and friends in grief.
Ken Block never publicly disclosed any information regarding his parents or siblings, suggesting that he kept his personal life private. His death has come as a shock to his family, and the news of the tragic accident has deeply saddened everyone who knew him. Ken was an icon in the rally driving world and a well-respected businessman, and his sudden death has left a void in the hearts of many.
Height, Weight, &Body Measurements
Ken Block weighed 84 kg and stood at a height of 1.83 metres, or 6 foot. He had a typical body type. He had light brown hair that matched his light brown eyes. Because he maintained a medium-length beard, he had a highly charming personality.
Girlfriend, Wife & Children
Ken Block, the rally driver and internet sensation, was happily married to his wife Lucy Block. The couple exchanged their vows in 2004 after being in a relationship for several years. They were together for over 15 years and their marriage was filled with love and happiness.
Lucy Block, Ken’s wife, is a successful entrepreneur who owns her own business called Luna’s Kitchen. She started her business in 2017 and has been thriving ever since.
The family was living a happy life until the tragic death of Ken Block.
|Celebrated Name||Ken Block|
|Age (as of 2022)||55 Years Old|
|Nick Name||Ken Block|
|Birth Name||Ken Block|
|Place Of Birth||Long Beach, California|
|Hair Color||Light Brown|
|Eye Color||Light Brown|
|Net Worth||$100 million|
|Best Known For||Rally Driver|
|Working For||Hoonigan Racing Division|
|Height||6 feet or 1.83 m|
|Source of Wealth||Rally Driver|
|Children||3 – Lia Block|
|Death Date||January 2, 2023|
|Cause Of Death||Accident Injury|
- Ken Block’s rally career began in 2005 when he joined the Vermont SportsCar team.
- He quickly made his mark, finishing seventh overall and fifth in the Group N class at his debut event, Sno*Drift.
- He went on to win the Rally America Rookie of the Year award that season.
- In 2006, Ken signed a sponsorship deal with Subaru and received a brand-new Vermont SportsCar-prepared 2006 Subaru WRX STi.
- He competed in the first-ever X Games rally event at X Games XII and finished second overall in the 2006 Rally America National Championship.
- The following year, he won a silver medal at the X Games XIII rally event and finished third in the Rally America National Championship.
- Ken also entered a few rounds of the World Rally Championship, including Rally Mexico and Rally New Zealand, achieving 19 podiums and eight overall victories in the 2007 season.
- Ken’s success continued in 2008, with his first Canadian rally win at the World Rally Championships event and a tied-for-third-place finish with Dave Mirra at the X Games XIV rally competition.
- He also finished second in the 2008 Rally America National Championship.
- In 2009, Ken made an appearance on the motoring show Top Gear and released the hit YouTube video “Gymkhana 2”.
- He then released three more Gymkhana videos featuring his new Ford Fiesta in 2010 and 2011, respectively.
- He joined Ford and became the first-ever American driver to campaign for the World Rally Championship in 2010, scoring two points after finishing 9th in Spain.
- In 2011, Ken and his co-driver were hospitalized after rolling their Ford Fiesta RS WRC during the shakedown stage of the 2011 Rally de Portugal in Faro, Portugal.
- He finished 8th in France and 9th in Wales, scoring six points.
- In the 2013 season, he entered the top ten in the Mexican rally.
- He participated in the WRC located in Catalunya, Spain in his 2014 season and placed in 10th position.
- From 2011 to 2015, Ken competed at the Global RallyCross Championship, finishing runner-up in 2014 and third in 2013 and fifth in 2012, collecting six wins and 15 podiums.
- He was third in the Norway round of the FIA World Rallycross Championship and won the Norway round of the European Rallycross Championship in 2014.
- In 2017, Ken finished 9th in points, with his best finishes being 7th in Britain and France. He also appeared in three installments of Codemasters’ Dirt racing video games and the 2015 Need for Speed video game as a style icon.
- In 2021, he started a partnership with the drag racing game “CSR Racing 2”.
Net Worth, Salary & Assets
Ken Block was a well-known personality in the world of rallying, but he was also a successful entrepreneur. He had an estimated net worth of $100 million at the time of his death, which was largely attributed to his involvement in the founding of DC Shoes. As the Chief Brand Officer of the company, he played a significant role in its growth and success. In 2004, Quicksilver purchased DC Shoes for $87 million, which added to his wealth.
After selling his shares in DC Shoes, Ken focused his attention on Hoonigan Industries, an apparel company for motor enthusiasts. He was a co-owner of the brand and helped to make it a success. His extensive car collection, which included several high-end vehicles, was another source of wealth for him. He also owned two large properties – one in Park City, Utah, and another in Rancho Santa Fe, California.
While his net worth was reported to have been as high as $200 million in 2012, it had decreased by up to 50% by the time of his death in 2023. However, he remained a wealthy individual until the end of his life, and his success in both rallying and entrepreneurship will continue to be an inspiration for many.
Some Amazing Facts at A Glance About Ken Block
- At almost 40 years old, he was encouraged to pursue racing by his friend Travis Pastrana.
- Block was a prosperous businessman and general action sports fan before he started rallying.
- In 1994, he co-founded the DC Shoes skateboarding fashion brand, which funded his first automobile in 2005.
- From his first rally in 2005 to 2015, he competed in every rally season.
- He was of American-White Ethnicity.