Who is Gautam Adani?
Gautam Adani born with the name of “Gautam Shantilal Adani” is a millionaire businessman and philanthropist from India. He is the chairman and founder of the Adani Group, a global company located in Ahmedabad that is active in port construction and operations in India. Adani also serves as president of the Adani Foundation, which is mostly run by his wife, Priti Adani. With a net worth of US$90.4 billion, he has surpassed Mukesh Ambani as Asia’s richest man.
He created the Adani Group in 1988 and has since expanded into industries like mining, logistics, energy, agriculture, defense, and aerospace. His family’s net worth is predicted to be over US$90.4 billion as of January 28, 2022, according to Forbes. According to Forbes, he replaced Mukesh Ambani as the richest man in Asia and the 11th richest man in the world as of January 2022, with a 74% share in Adani Ports & SEZ, a 75% stake in Adani Enterprises, a 74% stake in Adani Power.
Personal Life/Early Life
Adani was born on June 24, 1962, in Ahmedabad, Gujarat, to Shantilal and Shanti Adani. He has two siblings, and his parents moved from the northern Gujarat town of Tharad. His father worked as a small-time textile dealer. He received his education at Ahmedabad’s Sheth Chimanlal Nagindas Vidyalaya. He studied at Gujarat University for a bachelor’s degree in commerce but dropped out after the second year. Adani was interested in business, but not in his father’s textile company.
In 1998, he was kidnapped and kept prisoned for ransom, but he was freed without receiving the money. During the 2008 Mumbai attacks, he was staying at the Taj Hotel.
He got married to his beautiful wife Preeti Adani who is a dental surgeon and the Managing Trustee of the Adani Group of Companies. They look stunning when they’re together. The couple has been blessed with two sons whose names are Jeet Adani and Karan Adani.
|Full Name||Gautam Shantilal Adani|
|Birth Date||24 June 1962|
|Age (As of 2022)||60 Years|
|Birth Place||Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India|
|Profession||Chairman, Founder of Adani Group|
|Hobbies||Aviation, Reading books|
|Controversies||During the 2014 LokSabha elections,
Gautam was accused of aiding
Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s
campaigns by supplying chartered
flights for rallies and demonstrations.
|Net Worth||US$90.4 billion|
|Height(Approx)||In feet & inches: 5’ 6”
In centimters: 167cm
|Weight(Approx)||In kilograms: 85 kg
In pounds: 187 lbs
Family Background, Education
|Father Name||Shantilal Adani|
|Mother Name||Shanta Adani|
|Siblings||Brother- Vinod Adani, Mahasukh
Adani, Rajesh Shantilal Adani,
Vasant S. Adani
|School||Sheth Chimanlal Nagindas
Vidyalaya School, Ahemdabad,
|College||Gujarat University, India|
|Education Qualification||Started Bachelors in Commerce
(Dropped Out in 2nd Year)
Girlfriend, Wife, Marriage
|Wife/Spouse||Priti Adani (Dental Surgeon,
Managing Trustee in the Adani
Group of Companies)
|Children||Sons- Karan Adani (CEO of Adani
Ports and SEZ), Jeet Adani
Favorite Things & Assets
|Favorite Actor||Not Known|
|Favorite Food||Gujarati Cuisines like
|Favorite Colour||Navy Blue|
|Favorite Politician||Narendra Modi|
|Favorite Actress||Not known|
|Favorite TV Show||Not Known|
|Favorite Book(s)||Not Known|
|Favorite Comic Character||Not Known|
|Favorite Car||Red Ferrari|
|Car Collection||BMW, Ferrari, Limousines|
|Jets Collection||2009 Bombardier Challenger
605 with serial number 5787
and enlistment number VT-APL,A 2013 Embraer Legacy 650
with serial number 14501144
and enrollment number VT-AML,
A 2007 Hawker 850XP with
Social Media Accounts
Adani traveled to Mumbai as a youngster in 1978 to work as a diamond sorter for Mahendra Brothers. He worked there for 2–3 years before opening his own diamond brokerage company in Mumbai’s Zaveri Bazaar. In 1981, his elder brother, Mansukhbhai Adani, purchased a plastics factory in Ahmedabad and asked him to run it. This endeavor proved to be Adani’s entry point into worldwide commerce via polyvinyl chloride (PVC) imports.
He began importing raw polymers for small-scale companies in 1985. Adani created Adani Exports in 1988, which is now known as Adani Enterprises – the Adani Group’s parent business. Initially, the corporation traded agricultural and electricity commodities. In 1991, economic liberalization measures proved beneficial to his firm, and he began extending his operations into the trade of metals, textiles, and agricultural products. The Government of Gujarat announced management outsourcing of the Mundra Port in 1994, and Adani was awarded the contract in 1995.
He built the first jetty in 1995. The operations were handed to Adani Ports & SEZ from Mundra Port & Special Economic Zone (APSEZ). The firm is now the largest private multi-port operator in the world. Mundra Port is India’s largest private-sector port, having a capacity of almost 210 million tonnes of cargo per year. Adani Electricity, the Adani Group’s power business unit, was created in 1996. Adani Power has thermal power facilities with a combined capacity of 4620 MW, making it the country’s largest private thermal power generator. Adani entered the power production sector in 2006. He purchased the Abbot Point Port in Australia and the Carmichael coal mine in Queensland between 2009 and 2012.
Adani won the world’s largest solar bid, worth $6 billion, from the Solar Energy Corporation of India (SECI) in May 2020. Adani Green will take on the 8000 MW photovoltaic power plant project, while Adani Solar will add 2000 MW of solar cell and module production capacity. Adani plans to buy a 74% share in Mumbai International Airport, India’s second busiest, in September 2020. In November 2021, he will overtake Mukesh Ambani as Asia’s richest person.
Adani is the president of the Adani Foundation, which is supported by the Adani Group. It was established in 1996. The Foundation also works in Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Himachal Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, and Odisha, in addition to Gujarat. To combat the Coronavirus epidemic, he donated Rs 100 crore to the PM Cares Fund through his group’s charitable arm in March 2020.
A gift of 5 crores was given to the Gujarat CM Relief Fund, while a contribution of 1 crore was made to the Maharashtra CM Relief Fund. Adani Group, a global corporation led by Adani, imported four ISO cryogenic tanks containing 80 metric tonnes of liquid medical oxygen from Dammam, Saudi Arabia, to Mundra, Gujarat.
Linde Saudi Arabia also provided the organization with 5,000 medical-grade oxygen cylinders. Adani stated on Twitter that his organization delivers 1,500 cylinders of medical oxygen to wherever they are required in Gujarat’s Kutch region on a daily basis.
Wealth and Net Worth
His family’s net worth is predicted to be over US$90.4 billion as of January 28, 2022, according to Forbes. According to Forbes, he replaced Mukesh Ambani as the richest man in Asia and the 11th richest man in the world as of January 2022, with a 74% share in Adani Ports & SEZ, a 75% stake in Adani Enterprises, a 74% stake in Adani Power, and a 74% stake in.
Some Amazing Facts At A Glance About Gautam Adani
- Is Gautam Adani a smoker? : It is unknown.
- Is Gautam Adani a drinker? : It is unknown.
- Gautam was born into a Gujarati Bania family with a business background since his father worked in the textile industry.
- He had been uninterested in studies from infancy and had dropped out of both high school and university.
- He moved to Mumbai at the age of 18 and worked as a diamond sorter for Mahindra Brothers for two years.
- Later, after getting some experience, he founded his own diamond brokerage firm in Mumbai, India, at Zaveri Bazaar.
- He returned to Ahmedabad after his elder brother, Mahasukh Adani, requested him to assist him in the establishment of his recently bought plastic plant.
- In a short period of time, he began importing Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC), the key material used in the manufacture of plastics, and using his expertise, he traveled to South Korea to negotiate the purchase of PVC.
- After learning the fundamentals of trade, he founded Adani Export Ltd. (now Adani Enterprises Limited) in 1988, which was primarily focused on agriculture and power.
- Gautam benefited greatly from the 1991 liberalization and economic changes, which resulted in a significant increase in the firm’s revenue and sales, allowing him to grow his company.
- The Adani Business was requested to take on the Mundra port project in 1993 during a Government of Gujarat event, and the contract was awarded to the group two years later. Adani elevated Mundra Port to new heights by becoming India’s largest private-sector port.
- He also founded Adani Power Ltd (APL), which has a thermal power plant with a capacity of 4620 MW and is the country’s largest private thermal power generator.
- He is the founder and chairman of the Adani Group, an Indian MNC with operations in logistics, electricity, energy, agriculture, and other areas. Furthermore, the company was named India’s most trusted infrastructure brand in “The Brand Trust Report 2015.”
- He established the Adani Foundation in 1996, with operations in Gujarat, Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Himachal Pradesh, Chattisgarh, Orissa, and Madhya Pradesh.
- This foundation focuses on aiding poverty-stricken individuals with education, increasing rural infrastructure, and various livelihood options, among other things. It also offers a unique plan to fishermen, which provides financial assistance to around 500 fishermen for the purchase of fishing equipment, as well as education to the fisherman’s children. Adani Foundation Happenings.
- Gautam Adani is married to Priti Adani, a dentist, and the Adani Foundation’s managing trustee.
- His wife manages the Adani Vidya Mandir, a school in Ahmedabad that accepts only pupils whose parents earn less than Rs. 1 lakh per year.
- His founded organization received the 3rd Annual Greentech CSR Award in 2014.
- In an interview, he discussed his success motto, stating that he has spent his whole life focusing on attempting rather than on the outcomes.
- Here’s a short movie from Dainik Bhaskar on Adani’s life: