Alex Turner is a rock singer, songwriter, and guitarist from England. He is best known as the lead vocalist, guitarist, and songwriter for the English indie band Arctic Monkeys, which he established with his high school mates. He has collaborated with many other popular singers in addition to composing and performing on the band’s songs and albums.
He also collaborates with Miles Kane on his side project, ‘The Last Shadow Puppets.’ He wrote and performed as a solo artist for the music for the film Submarine. Turner, a multiple award winner, rose to prominence as one of Europe’s most popular frontmen when Arctic Monkeys’ debut album became the fastest-selling UK record of all time. He became interested in music as a child and grew up listening to many types of music at home because his father was a part-time musician.
He was uninterested in his studies and preferred to pursue a career in music rather than attend university. Turner has always gotten a lot of attention for his great songwriting and smart lyrics, which frequently focus on the nightlife in Northern England. He has been referred to as “one of the great lyricists” by “The Guardian.” In reality, many people have applauded his fascinating talent, including poet Simon Armitage, statesman Gordon Brown, and Sean Diddy.
Alex Turner Age and Parents
- Alexander David ‘Alex’ Turner was born in Sheffield, England on January 6, 1986. Alex is the only child of his mother Penny Turner and his father David Turner. At Rawmarsh Community School, his mother taught German while his father taught physics and music.
- He studied the piano until he was eight years old. Turner was exposed to several types of music at home because his father was a member of huge bands. He was a fan of The Beatles, Frank Sinatra, The Carpenters, The Beach Boys, and The Eagles.
- Turner graduated from Stocksbridge High School. He excelled at athletics, especially basketball. His instructors recall him as a quiet youngster who was intelligent and clever but “laid-back” in school.
- He became pals with Matt Helders in primary school. At secondary school, the two met Andy Nicholson, and the three teens listened to rap musicians such as Wu-Tang Clan, Cypress Hill, Dr. Dre, Outkast, and Roots Manuva.
- Turner’s parents got him a guitar in 2001, and he began writing songs with a bass guitar and some mics. Soon, he was immersed in music and became serious about pursuing a career in it.
- Turner started Arctic Monkeys with his pals Andy Nicholson, Glyn Jones, and Matt Helders in 2002, while still in high school. They eventually added Jamie Cook, a classmate. Turner took over as frontman and lyricist after Glyn departed the band. They first practiced in their garages, then in an abandoned warehouse in Wath.
- Turner enrolled at Barnsley College in 2002, where he studied English, psychology, music technology, and media.
- His parents reluctantly agreed to let him skip university for a year to follow his musical dreams after graduation. While pursuing musical opportunities, he worked as a bartender at Sheffield music venue The Boardwalk.
- Turner was captivated by guitar bands like The Hives and The White Stripes at the time. Queens of the Stone Age and The Coral were also introduced to him. He saw The Vines in Manchester in 2002, and it was his first live musical performance. In 2003, he traveled to London to see The Strokes perform.
|Date of Birth||6 January 1986|
|Age in 2022||36 years|
|Birth Place||Sheffield, England|
|Height||1.71 (m) or 5’7″|
|Weight||65 kg or 143 lbs|
|Famous as||Musician, Singer, Songwriter, And Record Producer|
Alex Turner Career
- Alex Turner worked as a rhythm guitarist with the band Judan Suki in York and Liverpool in 2003; he knew the band’s main singer, Jon McClure, who offered him the role. He was more confident as a result of his expertise. Turner recorded a demo with Judan Suki in August 2003.
- Arctic Monkeys self-released their first EP, ‘Five Minutes with Arctic Monkeys,’ in 2005. From then, everything moved quickly. Domino Records granted them a recording contract in June, and their first album, ‘Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not,’ was released in January 2006.
- Their debut album became the fastest-selling album in British music history. On the first day, around 118,000 copies were sold, with 360,000 copies sold by the end of the week!
- A five-track EP was published in 2006. Andy Nicholson quit the band the following year, and bassist Nick O’Malley took his place.
- They released their second album, ‘Favorite Worst Nightmare,’ in 2007. Alex Turner had begun collaborating with other artists by this point, including Reverend and the Makers, Dizzee Rascal, and Tony Christie. Turner and Miles Kane, a popular musician, released the album ‘The Age of the Understatement’ in 2008. In its first week, the album topped the charts.
- Turner made his debut as a short story writer in October 2008, when he performed a spoken word piece titled ‘A Choice of Three’ on Matt Helders’ album ‘Late Night Tales: Matt Helders.’ He also co-wrote the song ‘Temptation Greets You Like Your Naughty Friend’ with Dizzee Rascal.
- Arctic Monkeys’ third album, ‘Humbug,’ was released in 2009. In 2011, Turner wrote and performed six songs for Richard Ayoade’s film ‘Submarine.’ The band’s fourth album, ‘Suck It and See,’ was released in June of the same year. Turner also contributed six songs to Miles Kane’s debut album, ‘Color of the Trap,’ released the same year.
- ‘AM,’ their fifth studio album, was released in 2013. Turner also worked on Queens of the Stone Age’s sixth album, ‘…Like Clockwork,’ that year.
- After an eight-year hiatus, Turner’s second band, The Last Shadow Puppets, released a song in January 2016. ‘Bad Habits,’ the song, was released alongside a music video. ‘Everything You’ve Come to Expect’, the title track from their future album, was released in March 2016, followed by ‘Aviation’ and ‘Miracle Aligner’. In December 2016, Turner and Miles Kane released the EP ‘The Dream Synopsis.’
- Arctic Monkeys’ most recent album was published in 2013. Fans are awaiting the band’s return four years later, in 2017, although Turner stated in an interview that the band is in “no rush” to record their sixth album. Turner, on the other hand, is working on a number of other projects, including an EP with Miles Kane.
Alex Turner Awards and Achievements
- Arctic Monkeys have received 92 award nominations, winning 38 of them. The band’s debut album, ‘Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not,’ earned the Mercury Prize in 2006 and the BRIT Award for Best British Album in 2007.
- ‘Favorite Worst Nightmare,’ the band’s second album, won Best British Album at the BRIT Awards in 2008.
- The band won Best New Band and Best British Band at the NME Awards in 2006.
Alex Turner Major Works
- Alex Turner and the band had enormous success with their first single, ‘I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor,’ which peaked at No. 1 on the UK singles chart.
- The band’s debut album, ‘Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not,’ sold over 360,000 copies in its first week, setting a record in British music. It has since been awarded quintuple platinum status in the United Kingdom.
- ‘Favorite Worst Nightmare,’ the band’s second album, sold over 225,000 copies in its first week and was nominated for the 2007 Mercury Prize.
Alex Turner Girlfriend and Relationships
Alex Turner had dated Johanna Bennett since he was in college. Following their breakup, he began a four-year romance with writer Alexa Chung.
He was formerly engaged to American actress Arielle Vandenberg, but the engagement was called off. He began dating model Taylor Bagley in 2015.
Alex Turner Height
He is blessed with a charming personality which is enhanced by his black hair and black eyes. His height is 5 feet and 7 inches which is 170cm in centimeters.
He follows a regular and healthy diet in order to keep himself healthy with a weight of 65 kg or 143 lbs. His body measurements are 40 inches chest, 14 inches biceps, and 32 inches waist approximately.
|Height||In Centimeters: 170 cm.
In Meters: 1.7018 m.
In Feet Inches: 5′ 7″
|Weight||In KG: 65 kg
In Pound: 143 lbs
Alex Turner Net Worth
Alex Turner is a professional musician, singer, and composer with a net worth of $25 million as of 2022. He is the leader of two music bands, both of which have recorded multiple albums, and the proceeds from the sale of their songs provide him with this money.
His annual income is in the millions of dollars. His main source of income is the music industry, and he currently lives a luxurious lifestyle.
Some Interesting Facts About Alex Turner:
- He enjoys smoking cigarettes.
- His astrological sign is Capricorn.
- As a youth, he was “huge into hip-hop.”
- Turner described The Strokes as “the one band that comes along when you’re 14 or 15 years old and manages to hit you just right and transforms your entire vision of things.”
- He is also fluent in German.
- Turner studied the piano as a child.
- He got his first guitar for Christmas in 2001.
- If Arctic Monkeys did not succeed, he intended to study English at Manchester University.
- Alex released Submarine, an EP, on March 18, 2011.