Who is Akhilesh Yadav?
Akhilesh Yadav (born 1 July 1973) is an Indian politician and the national president of the Samajwadi Party who served as Uttar Pradesh’s 20th Chief Minister from 2012 to 2017. He is the youngest individual to hold the post, having taken office on March 15, 2012, at the age of 38. Yadav was elected as the Member of Parliament for Azamgarh in the 17th Lok Sabha in 2019.
In 2000, he was elected to the Lok Sabha from the Kannauj seat, which was his first substantial political achievement. He is the son of experienced politician Mulayam Singh Yadav, the founder-patron of the Samajwadi Party, who served as Minister of Defence in the Government of India and as Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh for three years.
Personal Life/Early Life
Yadav was born in Saifai, Etawah District, Uttar Pradesh on July 1, 1973. He was born to Malti Devi and Mulayam Singh Yadav, who went on to become the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh. Malti Devi was in problem during her pregnancy with Akhilesh. She passed away in 2003. With Mulayam Singh Yadav preoccupied with politics, Akhilesh was raised primarily by his paternal grandparents. He finished his primary and secondary schooling at a local school in Saifai, followed by one in Etawah town.
He attended the Military School in Dholpur, Rajasthan, and then went on to earn his Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in Civil Environmental Engineering from JSS Science and Technology University. He also holds a master’s degree in environmental engineering from Australia’s University of Sydney. He is married to former Member of Parliament Dimple Yadav.
Yadav’s family has been divided into two squabbling parties since he became chief minister, one backing with him and the other with his uncle Shivpal Singh Yadav.
On November 24, 1999, Akhilesh Yadav married Dimple Rawat. Tina and Aditi Yadav are their daughters, while Arjun Yadav is their son.
|Birth Date||1 July 1973|
|Age (As of 2022)||49 Years|
|Birth Place||Saifai village, Etawah, Uttar Pradesh|
|Caste||(OBC) Other Backward Class|
|Hometown||Etawah, Uttar Pradesh|
|Hobbies||Listening Music, Reading, Watching Films, Playing Cricket, Playing Football|
|Political Party||Samajwadi Party
|Net Worth||37.78 Crores INR (as in 2019)|
|Height(Approx)||In feet & inches: 5’ 7”
In centimters: 170 cm
|Weight(Approx)||In kilograms: 68 kg
In pounds: 150 lbs
Family Background, Education
|Father Name||Mulayam Singh Yadav (Former Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh)
|Mother Name||Malti Devi (by birth), Sadhana Gupta (step-mother)
|Siblings||Brother- Prateek Yadav (half-brother)|
|School||Dholpur Military School, Dholpur, Rajasthan|
|College||University of Mysore, Mysore, Karnataka, India and University of Sydney, Australia|
|Education Qualification||Master’s Degree in Civil Environmental Engineering and Master’s Degree in Environmental Engineering|
Girlfriend, Wife, Marriage
|Wife/Spouse||Dimple Yadav, Politician (Married 24 November 1999)|
|Children||Son- Arjun Yadav
Daughters- Aditi Yadav, Tina Yadav
Favorite Things & Assets
|Favorite Politician||Ram Manohar Lohia
|Favorite Actor||Not Known|
|Favorite Musicians||Bryan Adams, Guns N’ Roses, Bon Jovi, and Metallica|
|Favorite TV Show||Not Known|
|Favorite Book(s)||Not Known|
|Favorite Comic Character||Not Known|
Social Media Accounts
In a by-election in 2000, Yadav was elected to the 13th Lok Sabha from Kannauj. He was also a member of the Food, Civil Supplies, and Public Distribution Committee. Yadav was a member of the Committee on Ethics from 2000 to 2001 and was elected to the 14th Lok Sabha for a second term in 2004.
He served on the following committees: the Committee on Urban Development, the Committee on Computer Provision for Various Departments, the Committee on Science and Technology, and the Committee on Environment and Forests. Yadav was elected and served in the 15th Lok Sabha for a second time from 2009 to 2012.
During this time, he served on the following committees: Environment and Forests Committee, Science and Technology Committee, and the JPC on the 2G spectrum dispute. On March 10, 2012, he was named the head of the Samajwadi Party in Uttar Pradesh. On March 15, 2012, at the age of 38, he was sworn in as the youngest Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh. After his party won the Assembly elections in May 2012, Yadav resigned from the Kannauj parliamentary seat to continue serving as Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh.
He was elected to the Uttar Pradesh Legislative Council in the same month. The SP-Congress Alliance, led by Yadav, was unable to establish a government in the 2017 Assembly elections. On March 11, he presented his resignation to Governor Ram Naik. He was elected to the Lok Sabha from the Azamgarh Lok Sabha seat in May 2019.
Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh
Yadav was sworn in as Uttar Pradesh’s 20th Chief Minister on March 15, 2012, at the age of 38, after winning 224 seats in the March 2012 assembly elections. During his term, the Agra-Lucknow Highway, India’s most modern and longest expressway, was constructed and opened, being the first of its type to be built in the lowest amount of time.
Yadav also established the “UP100 Police Service,” the “Women Power Line 1090,” and the “108 Ambulance Service.” His government’s infrastructure successes include the Lucknow Metro Rail, the Lucknow International Ekana Cricket Stadium, the Janeshwar Mishra Park (Asia’s largest park), the Jayaprakash Narayan International Convection Center, IT city, the Lucknow-Ballia Purvanchal Expressway, and others.
During his tenure as chief minister, he also prioritised the development of the power sector, the modernization of the police force, the establishment of Kisan Bazaars and Mandis, and the implementation of social welfare schemes such as the Lohiya Awas Yojana, Kanya Vidya Dhan, Kisan Avam Sarvhit Bima Yojana, Pension Yojna, and the allocation of unemployment allowances. Between 2012 and 2015, the Government of Uttar Pradesh handed approximately 15 lakh computers to 10th and 12th grade students, making it one of the world’s largest distribution schemes.
- Akhilesh was engaged in a family fight with his uncle, Shivpal Singh Yadav, in 2017. Shivpal stated that there was a conspiracy to evict him from the party and planned to resign. Mulayam Singh threatened Akhilesh that if Shivpal resigned, the party would split. This was seen as an insult by Akhilesh. Mulayam deposed Akhilesh as the Samajwadi Party’s state president and replaced him with Shivpal. Akhilesh was so enraged that he removed Shivpal and his followers from cabinet positions. He took over the party and was elected as the SP’s National President.
- In May 2017, he asserted that there were victims from Uttar Pradesh, Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, and other regions of India, but no martyrs from Gujarat. He made an oblique dig at Narendra Modi. He remarked that the BJP solicits votes in the name of martyrs and nationalism, but they do not consider anybody else to be a nationalist but themselves.
- Akhilesh Yadav was fined Rs. 6 lacs by the Uttar Pradesh Public Works Department (PWD) on August 2, 2018. He was accused of causing damage to the CM house after vacating it for Yogi Adityanath. According to the PWD report, the bungalow lacked air conditioners, bathroom fixtures, garden lights, and a variety of other fixtures. It further said that Akhilesh spent Rs. 4.60 crores on unlawful development inside the home.
- On February 13, 2019, Akhilesh Yadav was on his way to Allahabad (now Prayagraj) when he was detained by UP Police at the Lucknow airport. Yadav was told he couldn’t board the aircraft because the Allahabad district government had warned of a probable law and order disaster if he did. SP employees in Allahabad were outraged, and they began protesting and beating up individuals. The police used lathi-charge, which resulted in the injuries of five SP personnel and four police officers.
- Akhilesh Yadav was charged with unlawful sand mining in 2013. Akhilesh Yadav suspended Sub-Divisional Magistrate (SDM) Durga Shakti Nagpal on July 27, 2013, for taking action against the sand mafia in Gautam Budh Nagar, Uttar Pradesh.
- On 5 November 2014, Akhilesh Yadav revealed that he saw Rajkumar Hirani’s film “PK” by downloading it, and that he enjoyed it so much that he made it tax-free in Uttar Pradesh. He was punished for this comment since downloading a film is unlawful, and he was accused of piracy. Many individuals asked that the I&B Ministry take serious actions against Yadav.
Wealth and Net Worth
- Salary: 1 Lac per month + Additional allowances (as a Member of Parliament)
- Net Worth: 37.78 Crores INR (as in 2019)
- Cash: 3.90 Lacs INR
- Bank Deposits: 4.40 Crores INR
- Agricultural land: Worth 7.88 Crores INR in Saifai, UP
- Non-agricultural land: Worth 21.50 Lacs INR in Etawah, UP
- Commercial Building: Worth 4.08 Crores INR in Lucknow, UP
- Residential Building: Worth 4.71 Crores INR in Lucknow, UP
Some Amazing Facts At A Glance About Akhilesh Yadav
- Is Akhilesh Yadav a smoker? : It is unknown.
- Is Akhilesh Yadav a drinker? : It is unknown.
- He attended Sainik School in Dholpur, Rajasthan, one of the greatest institutions in India.
- During his studies at the University of Sydney, he developed a strong interest in music, listening to songs like Guns N’ Roses, Bryan Adams, and Metallica.
- He enjoys sports and is frequently seen playing Cricket and Football.
- He is an excellent socialist who can speak at length on a variety of social topics.
- He is a devoted supporter of Ram Manohar Lohia, one of India’s greatest socialists.
- He was 27 years old when he was elected to the Lok Sabha after winning a by-election in Kannauj, Uttar Pradesh.
- When he became Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh in 2012, he was 38 years old, making him the state’s youngest Chief Minister.
- He is regarded as the Samajwadi Party’s young idol.