Who is Azad Moopen?
Azad Moopen (born 15 April 1953 in Kalpakanchery, Kerala) is a physician, entrepreneur, and philanthropist from India. He is the architect of several healthcare institutions in Asia-Pacific. He is also the chairman and managing director of Aster DM Healthcare, a Middle Eastern and Indian healthcare company created in 1987. The Government of India bestowed upon him the Pravasi Bharatiya Samman and the Padma Shri in 2010 and 2011, respectively. Forbes placed him sixth among the “Top 100 Indian Leaders in the UAE,” while Arabian Business put him 29th among the “50 Richest Indians in the GCC.”
Personal Life/Early Life
Azad Moopen was born on April 15, 1953, in the Indian region of Kalpakanchery in Kerala’s Malappuram district. Azad was a son of Mandayapurath Ahmed Unni Moopen who was a noble, a freedom fighter, and a social leader. Dr. Azad Moopen graduated with honors from the Government Medical College in Kozhikode, Kerala, with a gold medal in MBBS and a Post Graduate in General Medicine. He also holds a Diploma in Chest Diseases from Delhi University in India.
Dr. Moopen is married to Nazeera Azad and the couple has three daughters: Alisha Moopen, Ziham Moopen, and Zeba Moopen.
|Birth Date||28 July 1953|
|Age (As of 2022)||69 years|
|Birth Place||Kalpakanchery, Kerala|
|Profession||Businessman, Doctor, and Investor|
|Famous For||Developer of many healthcare facilities in Asia-Pacific|
|Height(Approx)||In feet & inches: 5’9”
In centimeters: 176 cm
|Weight(Approx)||In kilograms: 72 kg
In pounds: 158 lbs
|Family Background, Education|
|Father Name||Mandayapurath Ahmed Unni Moopen
|Mother Name||Not Known
|College||Delhi University India
|Education Qualification||Post Graduate in General Medicine
|Girlfriend, Wife, Marriage|
|Children||Daughters- Alisha Moopen, Ziham Moopen, and Zeba Moopen
|Favorite Things & Assets|
|Favorite Actor||Not Known|
|Favorite TV Show||Not Known|
|Favorite Book(s)||Not Known|
|Favorite Comic Character||Not Known|
|Car Collection||Not Known|
|Social Media Accounts|
Dr. Azad Moopen began his career as a Medical Lecturer at the Government Medical College in Kozhikode in 1982, but he decided to go to Dubai in 1987. Over the course of 34 years, Aster DM Healthcare has developed from a single doctor clinic in Dubai in 1987 to a worldwide healthcare conglomerate with more than 377 sites spread across eight countries.
The organization is one of the major integrated healthcare service providers in the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) and India. Along with delivering medical care to millions of individuals across geographies, Aster DM healthcare today directly employs over 20,500 people, including about 2,998 doctors, and the number is continually expanding.
Healthcare development in India
He was the Gulf Area convener of the Malabar Airport Development Action Committee, which pioneered efforts in the 1990s to create Kozhikode International Airport through a public-private partnership program. This is the country’s first airport built with such private investment. He founded the Association of Kerala Medical Graduates and the Association of Indian Muslims in the UAE. He is also a supporter of Credence High School, Dubai, a secondary school he co-founded with colleagues in 2014. Moopen is the vice-chairman of India’s Social Advancement Foundation. The group is in the midst of creating a declared university on 350 acres in Malabar to offer students from underserved communities access to cutting-edge fields of technology, science, and management.
Dr. Azad Moopen, a passionate philanthropist, has launched a number of philanthropic programs through the Aster DM Foundation and the Dr. Moopen Family Foundation.
He is certain that profit is a byproduct, not the goal of healthcare, and his initiatives in healthcare, education, women’s empowerment, and social empowerment are giving hope to millions of people all over the world. He has set aside 20% of his own wealth for charitable efforts that promote social change and assist those in need.
Moopen pioneered new corporate social responsibility initiatives. The foundation’s ongoing non-profit activities include the creation of stand-alone community health centers, early disease detection, and cancer screening centers, radiation oncology centers, free primary and secondary care cardiac surgery training programs, subsidies for advanced surgical treatments for underprivileged people, village adoptions, and local empowerment programs for women and children, and various health and safety awareness campaigns throughout the Gulf countries. He is also actively involved in the building of educational institutions in Saudi Arabia, India, and the United Arab Emirates in order to shape future generations. On July 14, 2015, Aster DM Healthcare, led by Moopen, made a US$ 2.72 million gift to Al Jalila Foundation, a philanthropic organization established in the UAE that promotes medical education and research.
Aster DM Healthcare declared its initial public offering (IPO) in February 2018 and set a price range of Rs 180 to Rs 190 for the public sale. Dr. Azad Moopen believes the business will decide later whether or not to seek listing on other exchanges such as London or Dubai.
Awards and recognitions
- The Government of India bestowed the Padma Shri Award (2011).
- The Government of India has awarded the Pravasi Bharatiya Samman (2010).
- Arab Health Award for “Outstanding Individual Contribution to the Middle East Healthcare Industry” (2010).
- Kerala Government’s Best Doctor Award (2009).
- The Group received the Dubai Service Excellence Award (2004) from the Government of Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
- Shri K G Balakrishnan, Hon. Chief Justice of India, gave the Kerala Ratna Award to Keraleeyam in New Delhi (2008). (Section – Reports 2008-2009).
- Kshema Foundation’s Aslam Kshema Award recognizes extraordinary efforts to assist economically disadvantaged individuals (2009).
- FICCI Healthcare Excellence Awards Lifetime Achievement Award (2018).
- In 2019, he received the ‘Lifetime Achievement Award’ at the 9th Entrepreneur India Awards.
- In 2019, Arabian Business presented him with the ‘Visionary CEO of the Year Award’ in honor of his work at the CEO Middle East Awards.
- In 2019, he was awarded a fellowship of the Royal College of Physicians (FRCP) in the United Kingdom for his outstanding contribution to the medical and healthcare professions.
- In 2018, he received the ‘Lifetime Achievement Award’ at the Gulf Indian Leadership Summit.
- In 2018, Arabian Business Magazine named him one of the “100 Most Inspiring Leaders in the Middle East.”
- Forbes ranked him sixth among the “Top 100 Indian Business Leaders in the UAE” in 2017.
- In 2010, the Arabian Business Achievement Award was presented by the ITP Publishing Group.
Wealth and Net Worth
Azad Moopen, a physician, is getting ready to list his Dubai-based hospital chain, Aster DM Healthcare, which has 18 hospitals, 90 clinics, and 200 pharmacies in the Middle East and India. Aster employs almost 2,000 doctors and handles 10 million patients each year. Aster bought a 25% interest in Ramesh Hospitals in Hyderabad last year. In 1987, Moopen quit his profession as a teacher in Kerala and opened a solo clinic in Dubai.
He was rated sixth on Forbes’ list of the “Top 100 Indian Leaders in the UAE” in 2022, with a net worth of $5.9 billion.
Some Amazing Facts At A Glance About Azad Moopen
- Azad Moopen traveled to the United Arab Emirates in February 1987 to gather funds for the rebuilding of a mosque in Kalpakancheri, Kerala’s Malappuram district.
- Moopen rented a two-bedroom flat in Bur Dubai in order to open his clinic.
- Moopen encouraged a private equity group to invest in Aster DM Healthcare in 2008, and they valued the company at $100 million.
- The Government of India honored Dr. Moopen with the Pravasi Bharatiya Samman and Padma Shri awards in 2010 and 2011.