Who is Saba Azad?
Saba Azad is an actress who also performs a number of roles in her daily life. She is a theatrical director, as well as a musician, in addition to being a Bollywood actor. She began her career at the age of 18 with her first film “Dil Kabaddi” (2008) and has progressed through the industry, portraying various roles and singing for other Bollywood films. Saba is most recognized for her portrayal as the lead in the romantic comedy film Mujhse Fraaandship Karoge (2011). In India, the film was a sleeper hit, earning a cult following among college students across the country. In 2016, she also starred as Dingo in the Y-Films online series Ladies Room.
Saba Azad Personal Life/Early Life
Saba Azad was born on November 1, 1990 (age 31 as of 2021) in Delhi, India as Saba Singh Grewal. She is from a middle-class Punjabi family in Delhi. PM Singh Grewal, her father, was a professor, and her mother is a homemaker. Her older brother, who lives in Europe, is her only sibling. She had an interest in dancing and acting since she was a youngster, and after finishing school, she began her journey as a theatrical artist to seek a profession in performing. She is the niece of Safdar Hashmi, a well-known street theater performer, and director.
She grew up studying theatre and even participated with Safdar Hashmi’s theatrical company, Jana Natya Manch, after being influenced by it from infancy. She is professionally trained in a variety of dance styles, including Odissi, classical ballet, jazz, Latin, and others. She traveled with her Odissi master, Kiran Segal, to perform not only in India, but also in Canada, Nepal, and England. Saba has appeared in television ads for companies such as Cadbury, Maggi, Tata Sky, Google, Vodafone, Nescafe, and others. Her career in the film industry began when she was cast as the lead in Ishaan Nair’s short film “Guroor.”
Saba Azad Relationship Status
Saba Azad met Imaad Shah, son of actors Naseeruddin Shah and Ratna Pathak Shah, after joining the Indian movie industry. They had similar interests, and this helped them connect, and Imaad Shah stated in 2013 that they had been living together for the previous year. She was caught with Bollywood superstar Hrithik Roshan in January 2022, which sparked rumors that she was the Bollywood star’s secret lover.
|Birth Name||Saba Singh Grewal|
|Full Name||Saba Sultana Azad|
|Nick Name||Saba, Mink|
|Birth Date||1 November 1990|
|Age (As of 2021)||31 Years|
|Birth Place||Delhi, India|
|Profession||Theatre Director, Musician,
|Debut Appearance||Short Film: “Guroor”
Film: “Dil Kabaddi” (2008) as
Music: “Madboy/Mink” (2012)
|Famous Role||In the Bollywood film “Mujhse
Fraaandship Karoge” (2011)
|Height(Approx)||In feet & inches: 5’ 3”
In centimeters: 160 cm
|Weight(Approx)||In kilograms: 55 kg
In pounds: 121 lbs
Family Background, Education
|Father Name||PM Singh Grewal (Professor)|
|Mother Name||Name Not Known|
|Siblings||She has a younger brother.|
|Education Qualification||Not Known|
Boyfriend, Husband, Marriage
|Boyfriend||• Imaad Shah a.k.a Madboy
• Hrithik Roshan (rumored)
Favorite Things & Assets
|Favorite Actor||Hrithik Roshan|
|Favorite Food||Eggs, Salmon, Khasi Thali|
|Favorite TV Show||Not Known|
|Favorite Book(s)||Not Known|
|Favorite Comic Character||Not Known|
|Car Collection||Not Known|
Social Media Accounts
Saba Azad Career Highlights
She made her Bollywood debut in Anil Senior’s Dil Kabaddi in 2008, alongside Rahul Bose. She played Preity Sen in Y-Films’ Mujhse Fraaandship Karoge, with newcomers Nishant Dahiya and Saqib Saleem. Azad is a well-known musician and vocalist in the Indian indie music scene, as well as one half of the hugely acclaimed electronic band Madboy/Mink, which she co-founded in 2012 with actor and musician Imaad Shah. Azad founded her own theatrical group, The Skins, in 2010 and directed her debut piece, Lovepuke, which premiered in September 2010 at NCPA’s experimental theatre. Azad relocated to Mumbai from Delhi and appeared in Prithvi Theatre in a two-man drama directed by Makarand Deshpande.
She has appeared in advertisements for Cadbury, Pond’s, Maggi, Tata Sky, Google, Kit Kat, Vodafone, Sunsilk, Nescafe, and Airtel, as well as print ads for Clean & Clear, Westside, and Amway, among others.
Saba Azad Controversies
- Saba Azad was extensively criticized on social media after changing her name from Saba Singh Grewal to Saba Azad. “I took a name of my own choice “AZAD” (free) free of religious tags, free of a conditioned concept of what or who I may be, free of the dread of what taking this name may bring me,” she stated.
- She performed during an anti-CAA demonstration in Shaheen Bagh, New Delhi, in January 2020. She sang “Tu Zinda Hai,” a song by the India People Theatre Association. She also read Faiz Ahmad Faiz’s poetry “Bol Ke Lab Azad Hain Tere.” She was chastised for her involvement in this demonstration when a post on social media went viral claiming that the event was actually staged to commemorate the departure of Kashmiri Pandits from Jammu and Kashmir.
Saba Azad Wealth and Net Worth
Saba Azad has a net worth of INR 95 crore ($15 million USD). Saba Azad’s net worth has increased by 16 percent during the last two years. Saba Azad owns a number of high-end automobiles, including BMWs, Porsches, and Mini Coopers. Saba Azad made her Bollywood debut in the independent film Dil Kabaddi as one of the key characters Raaga.
Saba Azad Physical Appearance
She stands at a beautiful 160 cm and 5’3″ in feet and inches. With a weight of 55 kilos and 121 pounds, she seems to be in great shape. Her beautiful brown eyes and black hair add to her attractiveness. She is health-conscious and maintains her shape, which measures 33 inches in the breast, 25 inches in the waist, and 34 inches in the hips.
Some Amazing Facts At A Glance About Saba Azad
- Saba Azad smokes: Yes.
- Does Saba Azad drink alcohol? : Yes
- Saba Azad is an actor, singer, and theatrical director, therefore she is a good example of “one person wearing many hats.” Saba grew raised in Delhi, where she began her career as a theatrical artist immediately after graduating high school.
- Saba Azad is the niece of communist playwright and filmmaker Safdar Hashmi. Saba, who comes from a theatrical family, was a member of Safdar Hashmi’s play troupe, Jana Natya Manch. She collaborated alongside Habib Tanvir, MK Raina, GP Deshpande, and NK Sharma in the theatrical group, providing her extensive exposure to the world of arts and theatre.
- Saba also enjoyed dancing, and she had professional instruction in several dance disciplines such as Odissi, Latin, jazz, ballet, and numerous other modern dance forms. She not only performed Odissi in India, but also in Canada, Nepal, and England.
- Sada has worked in various short films before her Bollywood debut, including “Guroor,” directed by Ishaan Nair, which was included at several international film festivals in New York and Florence.
- Saba Azad made her Bollywood debut as a lead actress in the 2008 film “Dil Kabaddi,” in which she co-starred with Rahul Bose. She is well recognized for her performance in “Mujhse Fraaandship Karoge?” (2011), which served as her major break in the business. She has also appeared in ads for major brands like Cadbury, Pond’s, Google, Kit Kat, Vodafone, Sunsilk, Airtel, and others.
- Saba Azad founded her own theatrical group, “The Skins,” in 2010 in response to her passion in the subject of theatre, and directed her debut piece, Lovepuke. In 2012, her love in music and singing led her to form an electronic band with fellow actress and musician Imaad Shah.
- Saba Azad faced a lot of backlash and abuse after changing her name from Saba Singh Grewal to Saba Sultana Azad. She addressed the problem on Instagram, writing a post on why she changed her name and how it had no effect on her. She stated: My name is Saba Singh Grewal, and I am the proud son of a Sardar and a Kashmiri. In a time when diversity is viewed as a threat, where secularism and inclusiveness have become derogatory terms, and where one’s name is one’s only identity, I chose the name “AZAD” (free) – free of religious labels, free of a conditioned understanding of what or who I may be, free of the fear of what taking this name may bring me.”
- Saba was requested to have a haircut that would result in her losing her knee-length hair for the character of Preity Sen in “Mujhse Fraaandship Karoge?” (2011), which put her in tears. She did, however, end up appreciating the haircut and was pleased with her makeover.
- Madboy/Mink, an electric duet, has been working together since 2012 and has performed in numerous places throughout India. Imaad Shah said in 2013 that the couple had been living together for a year and that their same hobbies had led to the start of their relationship.
- Saba Azad was featured in a “DHOOM anthem” video broadcast on YouTube by Yash Raj Film’s Talent section in 2013.
- Saba has recorded songs for films such as “Dhak Dhak Karne Laga” for “Nautanki Saala” (2013), “Calcutta Kiss” for “Detective Byomkesh Bakshy” (2015), “Neend Na Mujhko Aaye” for “Shaandaar” (2015), and “Nakhrewali” for “Mard Ko Dard Nahi Hota” (2018).
- Saba Azad has been outspoken about a variety of social concerns, and she participated in the Anti-CAA rallies in Shaheen Bagh in January 2020, when she performed alongside numerous other musicians. She stated, before delivering a poem by Faiz Ahmed Faiz, We’ve heard that some folks these days have an issue with Faiz Saab. As a result, we’ll recite his nazm.